Cisco (NASDAQ: CSCO), is at the IBC conference in Amsterdam, Netherlands touting its strong partnerships with Euro video distributors such as Eurovision, SBB-Telemach Group and ARD. Solutions center on the new and enhanced content delivery network distribution engine Cisco Videoscape Distribution Suite (VDS), created with newly acquired NDS. With an open platform VDS delivers video content across multiple screens, including multiple protocols, multiple applications and multiple networks. Cisco has long promoted the power of video along with its potential as a content revenue generator on multiple devices.
As the mobile industry continues to explode with unbridled growth, as seen in the recent 2012 Olympic Games coverage where thousands of hours of video programming were streamed to viewers on multiple screens and devices. Management of these streams for content distributors is critical to enhanced viewing and revenue generation through advertising. Cisco is seeing, as it has predicted, the continued ramp up of demand for video on mobile networks. It is positioning itself as the go-to-guy for high quality content management solutions.
Consumer & Service Provider Benefits:
- Centralized live and time-shifted content delivered across any device (managed or unmanaged)
- Cloud-based recording, consolidated video origin capabilities
- Transparent caching for economical over-the-top (OTT) content delivery
- Expanded options for CDN wholesale or CDN Federation
- Sophisticated analytics/provisioning and more
- Cisco VDS hardware with the latest third-generation features such as tighter integration with Cisco UCS data center solution, Cisco routers and switches.
- Cisco VDS Service Manager (VDS-SM), a software platform for real-time analytics, service provisioning and diagnostics.
- Cisco VDS Television (VDS-TV), which delivers live and time-shifted content to managed devices such as set-top boxes or multiscreen gateways.
- Cisco VDS Internet Streamer (VDS-IS) for managing and streaming Internet-originated content to the end device for retail CDN and wholesale CDN markets.
Along with NDS, Cisco is providing SBB-Telemach, a leading regional Pay TV platform in southeastern Europe, with the PDS Set-Top-Box Series allowing for enhanced video distribution of High Definition TV to its customers. Creating strong partnerships around the world with a determine focus on the possibilities of video across the platform spectrum, Cisco is positioning itself to take a competitive advantage in a strong growth market.
Image via Cisco